Monday, January 28, 2013

Primal Diet - she loves it


Borrowed from a friend who just started cross fit and is enjoying the primal lifestyle!!

Not a big fan of veggies, and am working really hard at trying to incorporate them into my daily diet, but I don't always do a good job with it.

Sample Day 1
bf:  2 eggs fried in grassfed butter and 2 slices of bacon, coffee with cream
midmorning:  coffee
lunch:  wild smoked salmon from Costco wrapped in roasted seaweed (Costco) with avocado, and a granny smith apple
afternoon snack:  celery with almond butter and green tea
dinner: rib eye with broccoli sauteed in olive oil and  a sweet potato

Sample Day 2
bf:  2 eggs in butter, 2 sl. bacon, coffee with cream--this is pretty much every morning
midmorning coffee
lunch:  chicken breast with roasted red peppers with basil pesto wrapped in lettuce, clementine
snack:  Fage full fat greek yogurt with blueberries, cinnamon, and stevia
dinner:  pork chops and asparagus

These are pretty typical days for me.  I usually cook to feed a family of 4 at dinner.  My husband eats 2 servings, and I eat one and take one to work for lunch the next day.  When I go out to eat I like to order duck, something I wouldn't cook at home.  I will also order burgers or sandwiches protein style, in which most places serve it wrapped in lettuce or as a nice salad.  I'm a big fan of Chipotle.  I like to get a salad with chicken, guacamole, and hot sauce-yum.

For snacks, I also eat lots of almonds, pistachios, sunflower seeds, walnuts.  Occasionally I'll have a Lara Bar, but I don't recommend that or dried fruit until you've detoxed.

On weekends I like to make myself an omelette with spinach, cheddar cheese, onions, and mushrooms.

Another go-to of mine is coconut curry.  I cook in coconut oil quite often, and love coconut milk.  (full-fat versions of everything to satiate and prevent overeating--plus they taste better).

I also tend to cook my dinner in the bacon fat left over from breakfast, or in lard I've rendered.  (don't judge)

I eat mostly organic produce, but I'm still eating grain-fed animals because grass-fed is so expensive.  One day when we're rich I'll convert.

Marks Daily Apple is my addiction.  I think I've read every blog he's written--great stuff in there, and great links too.

So, in summary--I eat wild caught fish, chicken breast, chicken thighs-skin on--yum, steak, pork chops, pork loin, bacon, roast--anything piggy, turkey, duck, hamburgers, tuna, LOTS of eggs, all types of veggies--I'm experimenting, all types of fruits but in moderation, yogurt, good cheese, wine, 70% or higher dark chocolate, honey in moderation, stevia, all nuts and seeds.  I just started eating kimchi--not bad.  Apparently fermented foods are really good for you.  I make pesto sauce, tomato sauce, avocado salsa, things you might put on pastas I put on my protein, and it's been delicious!  I have not had a hard time at all passing up the bread basket at restaurants.  If we're somewhere that's known for some non-primal food, I will try it.  My goal is to eat 80% paleo 100% of the time, but usually I'm more like 95% because I feel soooo good eating this way.

Let me know if you have any questions!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites