Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Daily Ratios of Fats, Carbs & Protein, The Primal Blueprint

Daily Ratios of Fats Carbs & Protein

I have been rereading the Primal Blueprint I read it too fast the first time , Here is page 230 which is the Macronutrient Calcs for a 197 pound male( right about where I am)

The mean lean body mass equals 25% of 197= 148 pounds 

It hit me over the head it is not just about the carbs and the protein! So I have been following the program (obviously loosely LOL).

It is the amount of good fats too! In a nutshell Mark Sisson seems low on Protein for weightlifting bucks like me but here is the breakdown I am currently using!

When we don't have insulin issues (from not eating grains, starches, sugars, and legumes), the body burns excess body fat efficiently and quickly, 8 pounds per month in this case!

Protein 104 Grams= 416 calories
Carbs   75 Grams = 300 calories
Fats    148 grams = 1332 calories

Obviously the fat calories should be 4:1 Omega 3 to Omega 6 ( fats), ( Omega 6 fats cause inflammation and insulin problems).

Trans and partially-hydrogenated fats and PUFAs contain high levels of omega-6 fatty acids. Grain-fattened CAFO meat is also higher in omega-6 fat, as are many types of nuts. While omega-6 fats offer some health benefits, we tend to consume them in excessive amounts while not eating enough of the complementary omega-3 fats. An omega-6:omega-3 (O6:O3) imbalance promotes a pro-inflammatory condition in the body. O6:O3 ratios have recently become a hot topic in progressive health circles, and it’s worth making a concerted effort to get your ratio more in line with your genetic requirements for health than with the obscene imbalances produced by SAD habits. Anthropologists believe that Grok enjoyed an O6:O3 ratio of 2:1 or even 1:1, while SAD ratios can commonly reach 20:1 and as high as 50:1!

Sisson, Mark (2011-10-17). The Primal Blueprint 21-Day Total Body Transformation (p. 68). Midpoint Trade Books. Kindle Edition.

I modified my diet to increase the Protein to 1 gram per pound which equals 150 grams

This is what I came up with and I will be more diligent on logging on Livestrong everyday to verify that I am on target!



Here is my modified ratio

Protein 150 grams = 600 calories
Carbs    75 grams = 300 calories
Fats     122 Grams = 1100 calories

Total for day 2000 calories
Deficit for my weight and BMI = 932 calories

It is hard to achieve that much fat but liberal use of butter, olive oil, walnuts, beef & chicken (with skin); macadamia nuts, whole fat cheese, Avocados and cream help you get there . I even count the Omega 3 fish oil pills that we take daily!

Grok on

Coach X Mike




1 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites