Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Veggie Soup

Found this on a healthy eating site!

Easy Carrot Soup Recipe (with Apples!)

Easy Carrot Soup Recipe with Apple
I thought I’d share the easy carrot soup recipe I’ve been making a lot these days. I got big into making vegetable-based soups this past summer when I became friends with Jackie Wicks, co-founder of PeerTrainer. Jackie told me about how making big batches of vegetable soup were one of her secrets to making sure she got plenty of vegetable servings each day. As a busy working mom Jackie didn’t exactly have tons of free time to spend in the kitchen but having a big pot of vegetable soup in the fridge at all times saved the day when she was starving and needed a go-to healthy fast food to eat.
I don’t know why I never thought of the veggie soup thing myself, but ever since this past summer I’ve been on a major vegetable soup kick. I now routinely make a huge batch of vegetable soup (which only takes about 20 minutes) that lasts for 3 or 4 days and then when it’s gone I make a new one. This way I always have a tasty, ready-made veggie-rich dish in my fridge at all times. Sometimes I eat my veggie soup for breakfast, other times for a snack or along with whatever I’m having for lunch or dinner. I never get bored because I make a new recipe each time (which also exposes me to lots of different phytonutrients, antioxidants, vitamins, and so on.)
The veggie soup thing is something I wish I had thought up years ago because it really does save time and it really does help make sure you eat your veggies. And by the way, my easy carrot soup recipe below is incredibly versatile…it’s good enough to serve to company (I made it for our family Christmas dinner!) and it’s kid-friendly too. Plus it’s a great way to eat your fruits and veggies in one shot.
My easy carrot apple soup recipe is also dairy-free and vegan too. If you want to make it a bit thicker and heartier simply add some cooked whole grain brown rice (I prefer short grain brown rice) or a can of white beans (I like BPA-free Eden foods brand)  just before you puree it. The soup will keep nicely for 3 days in the fridge stored in a covered container or freeze it for up to one month.
P.S. And if you happen to be one of those people worried about the glycemic index and concerned carrots are “fattening” be sure to read my article on Carrot Nutrition 101

Easy Carrot Soup Recipe (with Apples!)

Yields 8 Servings
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
• 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
• 1 1/4 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped
• 4 cups organic vegetable broth
• 3 Granny Smith apples, cored and chopped (no need to peel)
• 1 teaspoon cardamom
• 2 teaspoons raw honey
• Juice from 1 whole lime
• 1/4 cup hemp seeds (optional)
• White pepper, to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; add the ginger and sauté 30 seconds. Add the onions and sauté 4-5 minutes, or until soft. Add the carrots, broth, apples, cardamom, honey, and lime juice. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the hemp seeds (optional).
2. Use a handheld stick blender to process the soup until smooth and creamy. Season with white pepper to taste. Serve warm or cold.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites